Saturday, March 12, 2016 | 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
NEW LOCATION: First Look Media, 18th Floor, 114 5th Avenue, NYC
Are you an engineer, coder, technician, marketer, or non-profit professional? Would you like to volunteer your time and expertise for members of the Colgate community? Then join us for Colgate's second Hackathon in New York City powered by the Entrepreneur, Common Good, and Digital Business & Technology Professional Networks!
Alumni, parents, and students from all backgrounds and career paths are encouraged to participate. All you need to bring is a laptop, power cord, creativity, and a desire to help other members of the Colgate community. Never heard of a hackathon before? Visit hackathon.guide for a crash course.
Who are we helping?
This year's event will endeavor to help Fiver Children's Foundation, a comprehensive youth development organization that makes a 10-year commitment to children from underserved communities throughout New York City and central New York (Madison and Chenango Counties).
Through character-building summer and year-round out-of-school time programs, Fiver empowers children to make ethical and healthy decisions, to become engaged citizens, and to succeed in school, careers, and life. Fiver Children’s Foundation is the recent recipient of the Eleanor Eells Award for Excellence in Research in Practice (2016) and was named a Top-Rated Nonprofit by GreatNonprofits.org (2015).
Colgate alumni affiliated with Fiver Children’s Foundation include:
• Tom Tucker ’67 | Founder and Chairman, Board of Directors
• Michael Barnett ’67 | Secretary and Member, Board of Directors
• Larry Geller '67 | Volunteer and Swim Instructor
• Angela Borreggine '86 | Member, Benefits Committee and Volunteer
• Max Haspel '95 | Member Emeritus, Board of Directors
• Carrie Craig '95 | Member, Board of Directors
• Jenny Perlman Robinson '96 | Member, Board of Directors
• Valerie Shapiro '99 | Advocate
• Matthew Lambert '03 | Member, Young Professionals Committee
• Stephen Naidu '10 | Member, Young Professionals Committee
• Gabriela Berroa '15 | Mentor and COVE group leader
Need more specifics? Projects to hack may include:
• Jumpstarting Fiver's brand awareness and external messaging
• Upgrading Fiver's e-newsletter templates and distribution
• Creating visual representations (graphs, infographics, etc.) of the program’s outcomes
• Enhancing Fiver's website (need someone familiar with Light CMS)
This event is free to attend and includes lunch, snacks, and a post-hackathon reception with beer, wine, and pizza. Participants are encouraged to join us for the full event, but please feel free to attend a portion as your schedule allows. Many thanks to our Jeff O'Connell '94 for hosting us at First Look Media.
Kindly register by clicking the button above or by calling Colgate Professional Networks at 315-228-7439.
Colgate Professional Networks spark crucial relationships, introducing you to fellow Colgate community members working in your industry. Build your Colgate contacts at regional events and through the Official Colgate University LinkedIn group. Whether you’re exploring employment options or seeking expert opinions, Colgate faithful around the world are ready to connect with you.